UNISON Scotland media release
9 September 2022
UNISON has today (Friday) launched its consultative ballot on local government pay and is recommending members vote to accept the pay offer.
Strike action has been suspended while UNISON, Scotland’s largest local government union, consults its members on the pay offer. The ballot will run from today until 5pm on 28th September 2022.
The pay offer consists of:
- An increase of £2000 for those earning up to £20,500
• An increase of £1925 for those earning between £20,500 to £39,000
• A 5% increase for those earning between £39,000 to £60,000
• A maximum increase of £3k for those earning above £60,000
• The removal of SSSC fees where applicable (social care registration fees)
• 1 extra day annual leave
• All increases based on a 36hr week calculator
Johanna Baxter, UNISON Scotland’s head of local government, said: “It is only through the collective action of our members in schools and early years threatening strike action – and our waste and recycling members taking action – that we were able to force these extra funds out of the Scottish Government and COSLA and into the pockets of hardworking council staff.
“Our members have fought long and hard to get action on pay and this offer means 87% of our local government members will receive fully consolidated increases between of 5% to 10%.”
Mark Ferguson, chair of UNISON Scotland’s local government committee, said: “We want to get this money into the pockets of hardworking council workers as soon as possible and we are recommending members vote to accept this pay offer. This will go some way to help them through the cost of living crisis but the fight is not over and we will continue our campaign to improve pay and conditions for local government workers.”
- UNISON is Scotland’s largest union in local government.
• COSLA offer letter https://unison-scotland.org/wp-content/uploads/22-09-02-SJC-Letter-of-Offer.pdf
• Johanna Baxter, head of local government: 07817 120894
• Trisha Hamilton, communications officer: 07943 507307 / email@example.com