Date: Tuesday 15 April 2014
UNISON Scotland is proud to be a supporter of the Lola Commons Fund and we are particularly pleased to be involved in this fundraising event.
Tomorrow (Wednesday, 16 April 2014) Iain McGovern, Liverpool and Celtic supporter, will walk 232 miles from Celtic Park to Anfield to raise money for The Lola Commons Fund for the charity SiMBA, and to remember the 96 fans who died in the Hillsborough tragedy in 1989.
Lisa Hague, co-founder of the Lola Commons Fund, will join Iain Mcgovern and boxer Alex Arthur in the first 12 miles of the walk.
UNISON Scotland will be there to wave them off.
The Chair of UNISON Scotland’s Health Committee, Tom Waterson said:
“We were delighted when Lisa attended UNISON’s health conference to announce Iain’s walk to support Lola Commons Fund for SiMBA. As health workers we know the incredible work that they do. That’s why UNISON Scotland will be there to wave them off on the long walk to Anfield. We wish Lisa, Alex and particularly Iain all the best on their walk”
Note for editors:
– Lisa Hague and her husband Celtic star Kris Commons established The Lola Commons Fund for SiMBA. Lisa lost Lola Grace in 2008 and has pledged her support to SiMBA as an ambassador to try and reach out to other families. http://www.simbacharity.org.uk/2013/08/donate-to-the-lola-commons-fund-for-simba/
– Tom Waterson is chair of the Lola Commons Foundation and is chair of UNISON Scottish Health Committee and UNISON Lothian Health Branch, who have supported SiMBA since it’s inception. Tam is honoured to be on board as a trustee of such a fantastic and worthy charity
– SiMBA is the Simpson’s Memory Box Appeal Hospital Services. They donate our large and small Memory Boxes to many units across the UK so they can be gifted to parents. Memory Boxes are donated to the units from the charity so they can be gifted to parents. Funds are raised throughout the year through various charity events, by events arrange by parents themselves and through donations made to the charity.
– Iain will set off with Lisa and Alex, from Celtic park on Wednesday 16 April 2014 at 11am. The send off event will start at 10.30am
For further information contact:
• Susan Burns, UNISON organiser, (who will attend the event) 07508 877053
• Tricia Hamilton / Danny Phillips, UNISON Scotland’s communications officer, 0141 342 2877 / 07944 664110.