However councils and other public service organisations need the powers and the resources to enable them to act.
These are UNISON’s main messages to the Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform Committee which is conducting an inquiry into a Green Recovery.
Turning to the 2021-22 Budget, UNISON calls for:
- A local authority settlement that reflects councils’ leadership role in driving a green recovery at local level;
- Increased capital funding to improve our water infrastructure, creating jobs directly and indirectly;
- Incentives for farmers to play a role in land-based solutions to carbon sequestration, creating jobs in rural Scotland;
- Funding and powers for the Publicly Owned Energy Company to be able to drive energy transformation at a local level, through initiating actions with councils and other bodies.
- A much better resourced Scottish National Investment Bank and Green Investment Portfolio.