Retired Members Info and Resources Issue 73 AprilMay 2017

Staying ActiveSources of help and advice

The Age Scotland helpline is the confidential, free-phone helpline for older people in Scotland. It provides information, friendship and advice to older people and those seeking advice on how best to support older friends and family members.
Tel: 0800 12 44 222

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) can help you access independent help and support. You can find your local CAB by calling Citizens Advice Direct or visiting the Citizens Advice Scotland website and entering your post code.
Tel: 0808 800 9060

Citizens Advice Consumer Service provides free, confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues. Trained advisers can give you consumer advice over the phone and online.
Tel: 03454 04 05 06

Help with Health Costs

Many NHS services are free, but there are also items such as glasses, wigs and travelling to hospital that you may need to pay for.

You may be entitled to help with your health costs if you are on a low income. People on some means-tested benefits such as Pension Credit and tax credits receive maximum help, and other people on a low income can apply for help through the NHS Low Income Scheme.

**NB** Call the Age Scotland helpline on 0800 12 44 222 for more information about benefits and your entitlement to help with health costs.

NHS Low Income Scheme

You and your partner’s income, and capital are taken into account in assessing whether you can get help. If you do qualify for help you will get a certificate called either:

HC2 – if you qualify for full help OR

HC3 – if you qualify for partial help

You can fill in a special short claim form, the HC1(SC) if you live permanently in a care home and the local authority helps you with the cost.

How to apply:
You need to complete an HC1 form which is available from Jobcentre Plus offices, hospitals or some GPs and Citizens Advice Bureaux or you can call
0845 850 1166 and ask for a claim form to be sent to you.

War Pensioners

You may be able to claim money back for dental treatment, hospital travel costs, glasses or contact lenses if the treatment you need is because of your pensionable disablement.
For more information contact the Veterans Agency at or call 0800 169 2277.
The Armed Services Advice Project run by Citizens Advice Scotland can also provide information and advice. Contact them on 0808 800 1007 or at: OR: By visiting your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Sometimes you may have to pay for your treatment before you have proof that you are entitled to help with costs. You can claim a refund on an HC5 form, but you have to claim within 3 months of paying the costs and you will need a receipt as proof of payment. HC5 forms are available from hospitals or Jobcentre Plus offices and in some dentists or opticians.

Travelling to appointments

Costs of travel

If you are eligible for help with travel costs, tell the hospital that you want to claim back the cost of your journey and show proof of your entitlement such as your HC2 certificate and receipts.
If you are entitled to help with health costs you will not have to pay the £10 as long as you have evidence that you are entitled to this help.

Being Dementia Aware

Factsheets (computer – PDF Downloads)
You can call Age Scotland 0800 12 44 222 (to get fact sheets)
• Reducing Your Risk
• Advance Directives
• Care at Home
• Living with Early Stage Dementia – Living well in the present and planning for the future
• Caring for someone with dementia – a practical guide to help you
• Smoking and Dementia (in partnership with ASH Scotland)
• Alcohol and Dementia (in partnership with Drink Wise Age Well)

Although I make every effort to make sure the information in your newsletter is accurate and up-to-date. It’s always wise to phone the helpline concerned and get them to check up for you. Mae
My apologies to Age Scotland for any misquotes – Mae Stewart)


Provided by Mae Stewart, Editor UNISON Retired members Newsletter, Dundee, Perth and Angus. Please note that this is not definitive information about benefits but will provide a signpost as to where to get up to date information. Please check the sources first. UNISON Scotland can take no responsibility for information that may be outdated or inaccurate.

Retired Members